Wednesday, June 27, 2012

To the Late Nights

(Photo courtesy of "Greatist" http://refinery29.com )

If being a writer means putting in the hours, than I definitely want the night shift. For some curious reason, I am in my best creative mind at, like, ten p.m. Why is this? Don't ask me, but I do like working in the night time, yet cringe at the thought of taking night classes at the college. No disrespect to colleges or those with the stamina for that kind of thing after dinner, but I kind of prefer to get all of my schoolwork out of the way ASAP.
But I'm getting off topic again. Where was I? Ah, yes. I like the idea of writing at two in the morning. The whole concept sounds appealing to me, rebellious somehow. Take last night for example. I was out with my parents, sitting in on a martial arts class. I try to always have a notebook and pen with me, at the very least. Last night, however, was one of the rare exceptions where I got to bring a multitude of writing materials (three notebooks on three different stories, a drawing tutorial, erasers, two working pens). Honestly I didn't think I would be able to write anything because my mind had been pretty dry over the weekend. So I'm sitting at the table listening to Tai Chi music, when I bring out my notebook, close my eyes and think, "Okay, what scenes can I write at this very moment?" Remember the other day when I was talking about being frustrated with bringing out one of my villain's "evilness"? Well, I kind of built up to that, creating a scene in which my main character and her sister-in-law (yes, they are both women) are heading back home, when EvilChica recalls a rather tragic story of her best friend. I really like how it turned out, though I still have yet to put curser to digital paper. Hoping to do that tonight. In the meantime, I've created a document where I jot down all the witty quotes and character epiphanies. I'm having fun thumbing through my various notebooks rereading the snippets of dialogue and whatnot I wrote in teeny-tiny handwriting. Anyway, hopefully I'll stumble upon some glorious detail that will open the doors for some serious late-night writing.
Here's to that.

-Grace

No comments:

Post a Comment