Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Rain with No Rainbow

After what's had to have been two week of network silence, here I am, back on the Web.
Today I'm writing the last installment of "The Woman in Scarlet" series. This one has by far been the toughest to write, and it's taken me an entire month to figure out why. While writing all these tales, one of the most challenging parts for me was getting to know the characters and liking or disliking them in the thirty-some pages I had. The character to be quick, the foreshadowing almost immediate. There wasn't much time to ease into things, it was all very fast-moving. The process, not the actual reading. But in every single one of these stories there have been two succinct... no, specific themes which have played in every story. The first is the obvious: The Woman in Scarlet. She is the only person we really depend on in all of these because she is familiar. The second is more personal for me: each story is something I would read, if I weren't the writer. Speaking exclusively of creative writing, I always wrote things I would want to read. The stories were for me. I've said this before, that I was my own audience, but it's true. But now with this last story... it is not something I would want to read. I've never liked unhappy endings, and poetic justice had little appeal to me when I was a kid. If you've ever read the story of Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes, then rest assured I was not at all pleased with the outcome. My mom thinks I can still change the outcome of this story, but I am not so optimistic. She said there has to be a rainbow. But I think the rainbow was gone even before the rain.
I think this is going to be a shorter story, much like the first one. By the end of the week, hopefully things will be looking up, for one of us. Until then, enjoy this beautiful weather, and may the Lord bless you.
Faithfully,

-Grace

No comments:

Post a Comment