Sunday, September 22, 2013

A Merciful Tomorrow

At 12:30 in the morning, I don't want to write. I don't want to do anything work-related, but more importantly, I don't want to sleep. Not sure how that's more important than being lazy at crest-of-the-day o'clock, but it feels like it overshadows everything else, including the knowledge that either a cat or a toddler will probably be wandering in here in a little bit to rouse me from my slumber. But at the same time, I want to write. I want to get lost in a world all my own with characters that sometimes feel too real to be just characters. Part of my dread stems from needing to rise early tomorrow... er, I mean today, later. I do my best work late at night, I believe, when all is dark and quiet and it's almost as tranquil as reading a book under a shady maple tree, with nothing but the lazy days of summer to look forward to. But I don't want to be a zombie in the morning, either, and coffee can only get you so far. I hate having to choose between sleep and writing. But maybe God will show favor on me tomorrow. Maybe it will just be one of those days where you can sit and watch a movie or read books about a cat and his four groovy buttons. No, that's not that late-night talk creeping in. We seriously have a book about a cat with "four, big, colorful, round, groovy buttons." I can quote it word for word. :-) Yes, hopefully tomorrow will be merciful. I guess there's only one way to find out.
Night.

-Grace

No comments:

Post a Comment