Saturday, January 31, 2015

The Interpretation of Ichabod Crane

Sometimes on-screen interpretations inspire me. And baffle me. For instance, I was reading The Legend of Sleepy Hollow the other day, and the description for the protagonist Ichabod Crane caught my eye.
"He was tall, but exceedingly lank, with narrow shoulders, long arms and legs, hands that dangled a mile out of his sleeves, feet that might have served for shovels, and his whole frame most loosely hung together. His head was small, and flat at top, with huge ears, large green glassy eyes, and a long snipe nose...." (606, qtd Irving "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow," Fiction 100: An Anthology of Short Fiction)
And while reading this, I couldn't help thinking about the T.V. show Sleepy Hollow, and the actor who portrays Ichabod. As I said, character interpretations both inspire me and baffle me. But what I want to know is...
                        How did this...               Turn into this...?
 
(Painting of Ichabod Crane courtesy of http://dickiemotherwell.com and Tom Mison as Ichabod Crane on Sleepy Hollow)
 
-Grace

No comments:

Post a Comment