Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Jounral Entry #3

(Safe Haven by Nicholas Sparks)

 
How many Nicholas Sparks books have been adapted into movies? And of that number, how many have at least one person who dies in it?
I rewatched the trailer for The Longest Ride yesterday, and apart from a serious flashback to The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly, the movie actually looks really good. But I couldn't help asking myself, "Who's gonna die in this one?"
If you don't see my point, let's take a moment to look at Nicholas Sparks's novels-turned-movies:
  • The Notebook -They both die in the end.
  • The Lucky One -The husband dies.
  • Safe Haven -The ex-husband dies.
  • The Last Song -The dad dies.
Suffice to say that while I still do want to see The Longest Ride, I'm hesitant because I know someone's going to be offed by the end of it.
But as I was thinking about all of this, I couldn't help comparing it to other books-turned movies, or either entertainment medium in general.
Let's have another look, shall we?

(The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling)

  • The Fault in Our Stars -Gus dies.
  • Jurassic Park (the novel) -John Hammond dies.
  • The Little Mermaid (the book) -She dies.
  • The Hunger Games -EVERYONE dies.
  • The Lunar Chronicles -Garrett, Grandmere, and Dr. Erland die.
  • Dracula -Dead-ish.
  • The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe -Jadis dies.
  • Pretty Little Liars (the first book) -Toby dies.
  • Little Women -Beth dies.
  • The Jungle Book -the one wolf dies.
  • 80% of Grimm's Fairy Tales -People be dead. Very, very dead.
  • 90% of Disney films -Someone (usually one or both parents) dies.
I guess this is a long-standing a tradition in storytelling: someone has to die. From oral cautionary tales to Big Hero 6. Even I'm guilty of offing people in my stories. I wonder if it's supposed to be more of an art-imitating-life kind of thing. It may be that the character or characters represented a symbol or a specific person to the writer, like Hedwig from Harry Potter representing Harry's innocence. It could very well be that the death of each character tries to show how the protagonist deals with death, and how they try and recover from it.
What do you think? When you read about a death, or see it in a movie, how does it effect you/the character/the story/the environment?

-Grace

No comments:

Post a Comment