Thursday, August 13, 2015

Journal Entry #11

I was going to tell you about my day, but it involved a lot of stuff about my workplace, telling you how we take people off register, counting in, counting out, the daily grind... and it occurred to me that the head honchos of my workplace are probably aware that I have a blog and would not appreciate me blabbing on the Internet about how we do things at the store. Which is a pity, because today was a pretty messed up day and it would have made a good story.
So I'll just give you the highlights.
My boss is on vacation this week. This is what happens when he vacates.
One of the other managers was trying to take the morning cashier off register. She walks back to the office to find one of the beneficiaries sitting in one of the chairs, and another employee is on the office phone.
Now, the beneficiaries aren't really allowed in the office, so she's like, "What are you doing in here? Is everything okay?" And he answers, "I'm having a seizure, I just need a few minutes." "Oh, so it's going to be that kind of day."
Yeah, the other employee on the office phone was actually talking to the paramedics, who were asking her about the guy having the seizure. Was he clammy? The guy didn't know what "clammy" meant. Try describing "clammy" real quick and that was sort of the scene in this tiny little office with four people crammed inside. The paramedics ended up wheeling a gurney all the way through the store, strapped the guy in -who by this point was fine again- and then drove him to who-knows-where.
That was this afternoon.
Over the course of the day, the manager would have to run to the bank before they closed, do a void on the register, talk to a customer, proceed to unpurposefully anger said customer, answer the phone while customer is still yelling at her, pretend she can hear the person on the other end of the line while babies are literally screaming in the store, transfer the call to the office, help with the truck that comes every day to bring more donations, and somewhere in there find time for lunch.
Yes. My poor co-worker had one heck of a day.

-Grace

No comments:

Post a Comment