Saturday, August 15, 2015

Journal Entry #12

The weather near my house can change in an instant. One minute it can be sunny with clear blue skies, the next it can be overcast. Frequently there are two white tornadoes that blow through the house.
Their names are Leia and Tallie.
My two precious nieces whose presence I can judge based solely on the state of our sewing room. Code I-think-I'll-sweep-this-room means the white tornadoes are currently elsewhere. Code Where's-the-carpet means they are probably in close proximity and are about to dive on you from behind.
But I love the little trouble-makers more than I can express. They keep me humble and coffee-dependent.
When my sister was pregnant with Leia, we all watched them closely, routinely asking for updates and how she was feeling. Naturally we were excited and simply doted on Leia whenever we could.
When she was expecting Talia, we were still super excited, but figured we knew what we were dealing with this time and so tried to get my sister things she would really need or things we thought would be adorable on the new baby.
My sister and her husband are now expecting their third child, and honestly there's been way less hustle over this little one than with the other two. It may have something to do with how my sister barely looks pregnant, but seriously. The amount of fuss over this little one versus the other two are way out of proportion. It's not that we don't care or that we don't have anything to give, but what do you give a third child when his/her two older siblings have all of the bases covered (burp cloths, Desitin, Vaseline, diaper bag, Marvel/DC character clothes)?
I was just thinking that when the baby finally is born, I'll probably be like, "Holy shiitake mushrooms! There's a baby!" Poor kid's gonna feel like the lettuce smooshed in a giant sandwich.
I do wonder how things are going to change when the new baby arrives. Will it be massive chaos or business as usual?

-Grace

No comments:

Post a Comment