Tuesday, November 13, 2012

The Montessori Method

I've just had an epiphany! I have sometimes wondered why I can hardly do anything without imagining how it can somehow fit into a story. I would be making up cookie dough and trying to get all the flour off the sides of the bowl and write some kind of scene in my head about an obsessive-compulsive girl with some kind of familial issues happening. Or I'll take a picture of a tree at the park because I like how crooked the branches appear now that there are no leaves to hide them. Things like that. Keeps my mind going, you know? Well, I was talking to my mom a few nights ago and she brought up the Montessori Method, which is something she used while raising me and my siblings. It is basically doing things with children which involve as many of the senses as possible, because it helps the kids to learn, and also reveals how they learn. Kinetically, visually, aurally, etc. Suddenly, BAM! I was like, "So that's why I note everything; sounds, smells, a touch, a word." Because that was how I was taught! (Of course I was thinking this and not actually saying it. My mom and I were in the car at the time, and if I'd suddenly gone off on this kind of rant, well, that would have been awkward.) So I will listen to music and the chord progression will remind me of a scene or a chapter in particular. Or I'll be on a walk and a gust of wind will kick up and you can just smell the seasons changing.
Okay. I just wanted to get that out of my system. Exciting stuff!

-Grace

1 comment:

  1. Love it! Montessori is one of my favorite curricula, and many of the things I do with my kids is Montessori inspired.

    I got your button working!

    ReplyDelete