Sunday, November 29, 2015

30 Day Writing Challenge: Pet Peeves


So far I'm three for three! Hurray! If I can just make it past, what, week two I think I'll have broken my record for sticking with a blog series-type thing.
Today's writing challenge is to list your top three pet peeves. Now, I'm only just thinking about this now because I really try not to complain. However, when I'm at work, I sometimes look for annoying things that people do or say so I can tell it to another coworker. We swap stories like that, looking for the most bizarre items in the strangest places, or the most random questions. I work in a department store, in case you're wondering. I've found dog beds on hangers in the men's department as well as dishes in the plus size section. Weird stuff. Also, whenever one of us answers the phone, people have a tendency to ask, "Are you open?" And I have to resist the urge to say, "You have reached the exceptionally convincing answering machine. Please leave a message." But outside of work I'm not sure what kind of pet peeves I have. Let me think here....
Stupid drivers. That's a pretty big one, I guess. The first rule my dad taught us when we were learning to drive was "All other drivers are stupid."
People who talk but say nothing. Sometimes you'll come across those people who talk a mile a minute, and really the meat of what they're trying to say could have been established with, like, ten words. But as a fantasy writer, I guess I shouldn't complain about brevity. I guess I just think it's better to wait until you have something to say before opening your mouth.
Dog-eared books. Oh, man, I don't know why, but whenever I see a book with a corner folded down, it annoys me. Seriously, you couldn't find a ribbon or something to mark where you left off? That's not even a good pet peeve. That's a stupid one. Oh, I just thought of a better pet peeve. Music you hate but can't get out of your head.
So in order my pet peeves would be 1.) Stupid drivers, 2.) People who talk but say nothing, and 3.) Music you can't stand but is stuck in your head.

That wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. And according to my challenge list here, tomorrow I'll be writing about someone who inspires me. Stay tuned!

-Grace

No comments:

Post a Comment