Sunday, December 6, 2015

30 Day Writing Challenge: Day 10

Hey. As often happens, I turned on my computer to start this post, like, thirty minutes ago, but got sidetracked on Twitter. But I'm here now, and today's topic is... let me see... Minimize, Start, Pictures, 30 Day Writing Challenge, double-click.... Aw man. "Write about something for which you feel strongly." Seriously? I have to wake up in the morning, I don't want to get into detail about something. Ugh. Fine. As a matter of fact, I can think of something I feel strongly about.
It sometimes aggravates me to hear about how other countries view America and the people who live/grew up here. Of course there's the classic "Americans are overweight." We get it. We're working on it. There are more fitness centers in America than I think there are in the rest of the world. You know why? Because people here are aware that they're not as healthy as they want to be, so we're trying to get to that better place. Segueing into the food genre, I've heard through a few sources that some countries feel it is an insult when you finish all of the food on your plate because, to them, it means they didn't feed you enough and you are still hungry. I don't know how the rest of America operates, but I was raised to finish all of the food on my plate. When I didn't, it told my parents that I was ungrateful for the food they had cooked for me. To not eat it was wasteful. There are also people from around the world who say bread in America is "sweet." I've only every travelled to El Salvador, but the bread there tasted the same as it does here, so I can't really weigh in on that.
I hate pickles, but apparently the rest of the country has a secret obsession with them: putting them on sandwiches, hotdogs, potato salad, chicken salad, deep-fried... I never noticed that one before, but I guess America does have a thing for pickles.
Here's a popular one. Public bathroom stalls. People (keep in mind I'm getting the majority of my information from various YouTubers, but people nonetheless) have restated that our bathroom stalls have huge gaps in them and that other people can see into the stalls if they wanted. First of all, the gap between the bottom of the door and the floor is so you can see someone's feet and know that the stall is occupied. Therefore, why would you go looking into an occupied stall? It also keeps you from looking like an idiot by knocking on each individual door. Look at the floor. Look for the feet. It's not rocket science.
Well, I guess that's all the demeaning things much of the world thinks about America. There are some good things too, like the fact you can take your leftovers home from the restaurant, or free refills. I guess a lot of countries don't do that. But anyway, I have performed my duties for this post. Have a good evening. See you tomorrow.

-Grace

No comments:

Post a Comment