Thursday, December 31, 2015

30 Day Writing Challenge: A Letter to Anyone

To my beloved nieces and nephews,
I doubt any of you will ever read this letter. I had started it off twice, the first time to my characters and the next time to my younger self, before realizing that the only people I would actually want to write a letter to are all of you. I don't know if I will ever become a mom, or if I do, if I will be half as amazing as your moms, but one thing I do know is that I will forever be your doting Aunt Gracie.
I want you to be able to come to me when you feel scared or angry, when you want to watch TV or read and book or just lounge around on my bed. That's okay. That would be great.
L, you are one of the strongest little girls I know. You may not realize it, but the trials you have overcome are more than most people face in their lifetimes. And yet you still smile. And it's a gorgeous smile.
N, from the time you were a baby you were a tough little thing. You barreled through a room and lit it up with your can-do/don't-mess-with-me attitude. But what stood out most was your love for your sisters. You have such a naturally tender and caring heart. It blesses me to see it.
Z, at the time I'm writing this, you're still an infant, but I see both your sisters in your beautiful face and your angelic demeanor. God has his hand in your life. I'm sure he will use you to touch other people. Remember that God can use anyone, no matter what season of their life they are in.
A, being a big sister is more than just a birthright. Being the eldest means being an example to your younger siblings. It's okay to make mistakes because you're helping them learn. Your mom and dad will help you along the way, and so will the rest of us. So don't worry, sweetheart.
O, you possess an inner strength that takes people by surprise, but I think what shines brightest about you is your incredible spirit. I imagine you'll light up people's lives with that spirit, as a star would show the way on a journey. I can't wait to watch you grow.
Q, I know how it feels being the youngest in the family. People will always see you as the "baby" and you will probably feel the need to prove yourself over and over again that you are more than just a little kid or "their baby brother." I hope you know, though, that you don't have to prove anything to me. God has a plan for you, and I jus hope you are able to have faith and put your trust in Him.

All my love,
Aunt Gracie

4 comments:

  1. Hi this is Sarah! You commented on my blog and asked how long I've been writing my books:) Well, I think I started with the idea in October 2014 and then I finished the Journey's first draft Dec 10th 2015:) I put thought to keyboard but pen to paper sounds cool too haha:) I do write down my thoughts though if I'm not near my computer so I don't forget them;) I also put this comment on my blog so you can reply there or here:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just realized you and I started our blogs about 3 days from each other:D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg, that's so cool! Thought to keyboard... yeah, I know how that goes. I always carry a notebook with me everywhere. I love writing my ideas down on physical paper first and then typing everything out. I feel like my notebooks are where I can experiment and mess up, make notes and stuff. But you wrote your first draft in a year? That's awesome! I wish I could do that. I'm such a perfectionist and I mull over stuff so much. Only when I'm totally positive I like something do I write it on the computer. Needless to say it takes a long time to write anything! Lol.

      Delete